Tag Archives: Bugs

5.3.2 STOREDRV.Deliver: Missing or bad StoreDriver MDB Properties When Using Address Book Policy Routing in Exchange 2013

Exchange 2013, Hosting, hub transport

 

If your using the new Address Book Policy Routing Agent to assist in separating your tenant organizations, you may run into a situation where a user is not able to receive email sent to them.  If you check the message tracking logs with:

Get-MessageTrackingLog –Recipients emailaddress@company.com

You may get a result similar to this one below:

9

As we can see, our original email to SOA-User1@accessabac.us generated an Undeliverable.

Of particular note is the Recipient Status where it lists 532 5.3.2 STOREDRV.Deliver: Missing or bad StoreDriver MDB properties.

There are two causes of this.  The first seems to be a bug where the mailbox is hidden from address lists:

image

This appears to be fixed in Exchange 2013 CU2.  A workaround is to uncheck the hide from address lists box.  See this forum post by Greg Taylor of Microsoft:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-us/69a3e303-f848-4729-b818-ea1acaeb43d2/exchange-2013-address-book-policy-routing-agent-issue-with-mailboxes-hidden-from-the-address-lists

The second cause, is not a bug but expected behavior. If the user you are trying to email to, is not a member of the GAL that is in their Address Book Policy, the email routing will fail.  I’ll give you an example.

In our case, we tried to email SOA-User1@accessabac.us.

The user has an Address Book Policy applied to him called ABP-Soa

image

If we check that address book policy with Get-AddressBookPolicy ABP-Soa we can see that the Default Global Address List is GAL-SOA

image

If we check the filter of that Global Address list with Get-GlobalAddressList GAL-SOA | select RecipientFilter:

image

We can see that the GAL is filtering for all recipients that are of the type UserMailbox that also has CustomAttribute1 set to value SOA.

If we check the mailbox soa-user1@accessabac.us:

image

So, there is our problem.  SOA-User1 has the Address Book Policy ABP-SOA assigned to him, which forces him to get the Global Address List GAL-SOA.  But since we failed to set CustomAttribute1 to SOA on his mailbox, he is actually not even showing up in his own GAL.  This is causing the routing issue.  We can simply fix this by ensuring the user is presented in his own GAL, in this case adding CustomAttribute1 with a value of SOA:

image

And you should be all set.